watching rainbows...

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

(edited)
MY BIRTHDAY WISH LIST:

(simple lang naman akong tao eh..simple lang wants ko. tsk.)

  1. A Starbucks tumbler. (pwede ding 2..hahaha!)
  2. A Shirt from David and Goliath
  3. An autographed Sugarfree CD (which ever..I don't own one, btw. I don't like buying CDs)
  4. Conti's Mango Bravo or a pig-shaped carrot cake with pink icing...
  5. A new backpack...
  6. A new pair of flats...
  7. A new pair of chucks...
  8. Bluetooth headset...
  9. A set of metallic colored pens
  10. Something from humorpost (wag yung bastos...wholesome tayo dito)
  11. A good book...
  12. Flowers? ewww! Maroon5 or NEYO tickets!
  13. A movie date...
  14. ACCA KAPPA hairbrush!
  15. Clean's baby girl (it's a perfume)
  16. OH! A CAMERA!
  17. OH CASH WOULD BE NICE TOO!
  18. May I have Jake Cuenca din?
*****

If there's one thing that I fear, it is that I would die without doing anything with my life; that I would just fade away into the background having done nothing but satisfy the wanting of my human exterior. And for so long a time I have been wanting to find a purpose, a meaning to all this so called "existence". Truth is, I haven't felt alive these past months; I felt like a robot programmed to do only what society expects of me, and nothing more. I do the same things everyday, and I felt such a useless being and such a big waste of space and resources. I want to do something of value to humanity but I have no idea how.

And along comes Gang Badoy. The girl I want to become when I grow up.

She talked to us in school today. I thought that it would be one of those move and rally and picket for change talks so I was completely overjoyed when she told us that we have the right to be apathetic and still demand the Government that is due us; she is probably the first person ever to talk in UP who made me feel good about not wanting to picket and rally.

You see, youth "activism" is overrated and totally exaggerated, especially in my school. A lot of my schoolmates proclaim themselves
iskolar ng bayan and yet waste the time they could spend studying (which is what we are supposed to do) marching and chanting, "fighting" whatever they see unfit and wrong in society, causing nothing but traffic and headaches and sometimes even halted economic activity. So where's the gratitude to the Filipino people in that? I want change too, as everyday I see what wrong we can change in society, but I don't believe that picketing and rallying would do us any good. I think that there is a better way of getting the message across and there is a better way of affecting change. Wouldn't it be better if we channel all that youthful energy we have and actually build homes for the poor or teach those who do not have money for school? Let's make ourselves more than just a crowd-filler during rallies and do something that would DIRECTLY help those who need it.

You see, Gang Badoy did not only talk to us today, she moved me. And I envy her for that; for her conviction, for her sense of purpose, for her will power and for her belief in the goodness of man. I envy her because she is an instrument of change and inspiration. I SHALL BE THAT TOO. (i shall join RockEd)

BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE.
http://rockedphilippines.org

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home